Monday, August 8, 2011

"Show & Tell' always inspires us...

to get to those UFOs (you know, unfinished objects).

However, Kate always seems caught up and usually has a few things to share with us.
Kate Hoeruf and her Growth Chart. Beautifully executed!
Another challenge was a portrait done in fabric and close up. I really had fun with this one.  Maria Elkins had an article in Quilting Arts magazine with great instructions. I'm sharing those instructions basically in my own words...have patience.

I chose a high contrast closeup of my husband that was taken in bright sunlight so there were lots of light and dark areas. I photo shopped it to increase the contrasts until there was just light, medium and dark. I did a mirror image of it and printed off about four copies that had an image size of 4" x 6". 

Next I took a red marker and outlined each gray area and kept in mind that I couldn't make them too literal because these had to be cut out. 

Then they were numbered #1 being the lightest, #2 for the medium gray and #3 for the darkest. I could have photo shopped to four shades, but since it was my first attempt I figured three was plenty. (Still do).

Choose three shades of fabric. I avoided obvious prints.

Place the lightest color fabric on top of Timtex or Pelltex (don't use the fusible kind like I did). Your stabilizer will be about 5" x 7".

Using your medium color fabric press Steam-A-Seam2 Lite on to the back.
Now peel off the paper backing. You want it to be slightly tacky.

Using your hand, not your iron, press your paper photo onto the back of the Steam-A-Seam2 Lite. Don't iron it because it will be removed later.

Cut away all the lightest areas using the paper photo as your pattern. Small, sharp scissors are a big help.

You'll remove the paper photo and put your medium color (that was my #2) over the lightest color fabric. Be patient. This sort of looks like a weird puzzle piece. Use just a warm iron to keep them in place.

You'll do the darkest (mine was #3) last. Again, refer to your original printed photo and take your time.

Good news...when every thing is in the right spot you can press it with a hot iron.

I used invisible thread and lowered the feed dogs for some free-motion sewing. Don't forget to add the free-motion foot. By the way, use at least a #14 needle.

Fuse a backing fabric to the back of the stabilizer and trim away the edges so it's 4" x 6".

I did a satin stitch around it twice. I love it and I guess I may make a few more for a "rogue's gallery".

This has already been Photo Shopped to identify the light, medium and dark areas.

 I flipped the photo and marked and numbered my areas. Looks like I made the first cut under the nose.

I layed this on a bright fabric so you could see the process.

Getting to be a bit of a challenge, but fun!

There! all finished and yes, I'm going to do more. I think I will stay with the three contrasts...light, medium and dark.

Judy did a portrait of her cat, very cool, Judy!

Jan did one of her grandson. Love the greens!

Way back, one of our challenges was to create something with at least 80% brown, add sheers and the word "knowledge". I tried and nothing, but nothing came to me, but finally I gave in to the color and came up with a small art quilt that is close to being finished. To my chagrin, I thought the word was "hope". Wrong.

Still have some work to do on this...another UFO!

Well, along with a zillion other tasks, both artsy and those dreaded necessary ones, I will be doing a garment with "back interest" for "Creative Clothing Club" and I think that will call for refashioning a t-shirt I just bought at the local thrift store. So stay tuned for that adventure!

1 comment:

  1. What great pieces! I'll have to email Judy! Her cats are great!!! Nice job one and all! Isn't show and tell the best!